So, as I said in the last post, that wasn't all of my casting on frenzy.
Freeing up those size 1 needles allowed me to rescue these little toes which had been hanging out on 2.5mm needles for a few months. (And that was after being the Reversi socks for Sock Madness which I just didn't like and ended up frogging) I started the toes intending to do the Jacobean socks while coming home from sock camp last April (I know, I know...) but since toe-up socks aren't my favorite and I needed my size 1s for much more pressing sock concerns... well they got neglected.
Now that the size one needles are free they're back in action using the Anastasia Socks
pattern that I've been meaning to make for about forever. Overall a success... so far.
And of course getting the 2.5mm needles out of those toes allowed me to cast on for a much more important pair of socks!
My friend Rachel bought this yarn long ago and I promised to make her socks with it. And I tried, really I did! First I started the Canal du Midi pattern from Knitting On the Road
, but I just hated knitting it so much I knew it would never get finished. The socks sat around for about a year until I frogged them, then I moved 3 times in 2 months and the yarn got misplaced. I found it and started one of the patterns from Knitting Vintage Socks
, I honestly don't remember which one, but it also was not a winner.
So now it's been easily 2 or 3 years and Rachel is getting married in January and asked if I could pretty please make her the socks for her "something blue" and really, how could a friend deny a request like that? Especially since I've owed her these socks for years now and have made about 100 other pairs of socks in that time. I am really a bad friend. So I have started the Monkey
pattern which is perfectly mindless and never fear, the socks are already much farther than when I took this picture a couple days ago.
And last, but certainly not least, I present Blurple Waves:
I thought up this project quite a while back as a solution to all my gorgeous 1 or 2 balls of worsted-ish weight yarns in blue and purple. I got many of them as gifts from the many secret pal swaps I participated in, and a girl can only use so many hats. Plus, as you may have noticed, I don't knit many hats. These are really beautiful yarns from Lorna's Laces Worsted to Colinette to yarns from little farms across the US - and they really deserve to be used.
So I came up with this idea... I could knit a blanket in a chevron pattern with all these yarns, since they are all blue and purple and go well together. I can knit up what I have and add to it when I get special gift balls of yarn, and if I start doing SP swaps again I can ask for yarn for it too. :) I had the forethought to buy the needles a few months ago so it was all ready to go, and after casting on 299 stitches (eek!) I'm off!
Labels: gifts, not socks, socks, stash, swaps